4 Important Ways to Keep Cool When Life is Heating Up
1. Don’t forget to Ventilate! The Department of Energy says that ventilation is the least expensive and most energy-efficient way to cool your home. One of the best ways to do this is to open windows to create a cross-wise breeze indoors. It’s best to do this in the mornings or evenings when the air is coolest.
2. Circulate. Ceiling fans can provide enough cooling power for you to raise the thermostat a few degrees without noticing the difference. Smaller ones can help as well, but make sure you turn fans off when you’re not around.
3. Cook outside. BBQ's and grills go hand in hand with summer. Are you making something in your oven? Cooking something on the stove? You’re also adding heat to your house. Clothes dryers and dishwashers can create unwanted warmth so use those appliances in the morning or evening.
4. Keep your curtains closed on the sunny side of your home. Turn off lights whenever you can, because they produce heat. And, if it’s warmer outside than inside, keep your windows closed.
5. When things are just too hot to handle. Turn the AC on but make sure to replace the air filter so your unit runs efficiently.