Dwelling Fire Or Homeowners Insurance - How To Determine The Right Type Of




Determining if you need a dwelling fire policy or a homeowners insurance policy depends mainly on if you

consider the home you want to insure as your primary residence. A primary residence is defined as a

residence that you reside in for the majority of the year. For some insurance companies, this is as simple as

saying that it is the property that you live in for at least 6 months and a day. It is also assumed that your

primary home will contain most, if not all, of your personal possessions. A homeowners insurance policy

provides coverage for your personal property, as well as for the dwelling and even personal liability. There

are also other options of coverage that can be included in a homeowners policy to meet your personal

insurance needs.


So what if the home is not your primary residence, but it is rented out as an investment?

Let's start with the first one- investment property. Any investment property that you rent out should only

require coverage for the dwelling and liability. You don't need to insure your personal property since it is not

located at this building. However, if you have some personal items at the property you can add additional

coverage to a dwelling fire policy to cover it, but for the most part, a dwelling fire policy provides coverage for

the building itself and if available- liability. If additional insurance is necessary beyond the dwelling itself,

such as liability or even a small amount of personal property coverage you can have your agent add it to the

dwelling fire policy.



And what if the home USED to be your primary residence but it is now a rental property, but

it is in the middle of your policy term?

Your homeowners insurance may no longer be valid or certain coverages could no longer apply to the

property. You will need to contact your insurance agent and make them aware of the change in residency.

They will be able to assist you in switching from a homeowners insurance policy to a dwelling fire policy.



What If I Rent Out My Vacation Home Part Of The Year?

Some companies will require a dwelling fire policy if you rent the property out more than 3 months a year. In

this instance and if you keep personal items in the home while rented (furniture, appliances, etc) you may be

required to carry a dwelling policy with liability and then add on personal property coverage to cover your

personal items at the home. However, some insurance companies don't have restrictions and you may be able

to get a homeowners policy to cover the property. Give us a call or send us an email to get more clarity on

whether a dwelling fire or homeowners insurance policy is best to cover your vacation home.



Vacant Or Renovation

Do you have a vacant building that is not currently in use, or maybe you're trying to sell it? Do you have an

investment property that you're renovating and eventually plan on renting to tenants? If any of these

scenarios fit then you'll need insurance for what the insurance industry calls 'vacant property.' You might say

that if you're renovating the property there's someone on the premises, but the insurance company is looking

for permanent residency and unless there is someone who uses that property’s address as a residence then

they classify it as a vacant property. Sometimes you may have difficulty obtaining coverage for a vacant

dwelling, but a good insurance agent will be more than happy to help you find coverage for your vacant

property and make sure that it is covered properly to ensure that if a should a claim arise it would be paid



Share |

No Comments

Post a Comment
Required (Not Displayed)

All comments are moderated and stripped of HTML.
Submission Validation
Change the CAPTCHA codeSpeak the CAPTCHA code
Enter the Validation Code from above.
NOTICE: This blog and website are made available by the publisher for educational and informational purposes only. It is not be used as a substitute for competent insurance, legal, or tax advice from a licensed professional in your state. By using this blog site you understand that there is no broker client relationship between you and the blog and website publisher.
Blog Archive
  • 2019
  • 2018
  • 2017
  • 2016
  • 2015
  • 2014
  • 2013
  • 2012

View Mobile Version